Sunday, May 14, 2006

back in the LBC

Made it down to LA last Monday night, despite having forgotten how exactly to get to the 5 Interstate from the Bay. It's been years since I took the low road to LA. Thrice we missed the interchanges, sometimes unwittingly. Forgot that that entrance on the I-80 only goes to SF--remembered that we pass the windmills and balloon festooned high wire powerlines but forgot it was on the way to San Ramon and not Fremont--lastly it took us a few miles to realise we were headed North to Stockton. Me and Ji Sung left leisurely at 1 or so from Emeryville, so it was only fitting that we meandered our way down. Thank god I wasn't driving on my own, because I would have followed every wrong road to the mountains or the sea before turning around--call it carefree optimism. The 10' uhaul was only half full so we were averaging about 70 and made it down to LA by 9 or so, missing the evening commute traffic.

For now, home is the lovely Long Beach, a molotov cocktail's throw from the lovely OC. I'm running on the beach where nobody swims or surfs--I've seen a bumper sticker, a different kind of civic pride: picture white old-english on black: Long Beach: If It Swims It Dies. According to the local surf reports LBC usually has the lowest bacteria counts, I guess surfers love to congregate around sewage outlets.

Tomorrow I am thinking of going to the original original Tommy's burgers for their anniversary 60 cent burgers--of course it might cost me ten bucks in gas to get down there at Beverly and Rampart when there's a Tommy's within walking distance from my Brother's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home