Thursday, April 27, 2006

Delfina Cucina



Last Saturday night, Rdgz treated me to Delfina, where I hadn't been since they first opened some 5 or 6 years ago, and didn't remember liking the food all that much, possibly because I was dining at the time with the Frenchman, who was a proffessional chef, which sometimes made me overthink what I was tasting and maybe keep me from enjoying my meal (One time he cooked me something with truffles which I mistook for fermented black bean and soy sauce). This time around I went with the slow cooked shoulder pork--thinking you can't go wrong with pork. It was fan-fucking-tastic. A sweet balsalmic sauce with caremalized onions and the oh-so-tender pork on a bed of butter soft lentils.

At the restaurant I also saw someone there I hadn't seen in over 10 years. Seated at the table next to us was one of my Quantum Mechanics Professor. It took me a while to remember his name, professor Clarke with the Oxford accent, who received a number of distinguished teaching awards and made Quantum Mechanic-- of all things--seem utterly reasonable: the world is not a continuous spectrum but quantized like the gears in a car, and the potential of things happening or not happening is the mechanism by which they happen or not. Professor Clarke was totally clear and engaging, unlike the German Professor, I had ,Prof. Mandelstrom,who had a habit of talking through the back of his head while writing illegibly on the board. That was the other thing I remember about professor Clarke was that he had impeccable penmanship, his bra's and ket's, his lowercase deltas always uniform and appealing. I wanted to tell him right there at Delfina how much I enjoyed his class, but instead I just gave him and his company pleasant, neighborly smiles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home